Chemistry is one of the vital branches of science without which life does not exist. Engineering is the application of basic sciences and it may be noted that all engineering branches originated from basic sciences. "Science without technology is useless and technology without science is blind". Department of Chemistry has been established during the year 1962 and staff pattern of Department of Chemistry have One Professor, Two Associate Professor, Three Assistant Professors are working in the Department. Among them Professor, Two Associate Professor and Two Assistant Professor having Ph.D. degree and others are having M.Sc. degree. Non teaching faculties of the Department have one Instructor, one Asst. instructor, one Mechanic and three helpers. Department of Chemistry has been upgraded as per autonomous syllabus under VTU. The department have been recognized as research centre by University of Mysore and VTU Belagavi. The staff members are guiding the students of B.E and M.Tech for project and Ph.D research works. Staff members have been published 63 research papers at National and International Journals and also presented 58 research papers at National and International Conferences/Symposia. Presently six research candidates are doing research work for different fields of chemistry topics in the Department under the guidance of the staff members. The Department has provided necessary computers with internet facilities.
Department of Chemistry is flourished with highly qualified and experienced faculties with international exposure. We educate and motivate technical students with necessary skills in different areas of chemical sciences especially focusing on engineering chemistry. We are teaching chemistry for the students to enrich knowledge of applied basic sciences in engineering applications. The department has well equipped laboratory for teaching engineering chemistry experiments for all branches of engineering students
A Foundation in pursuit of excellence to impart best teaching-learning solutions in Engineering Chemistry and to develop competent professionals
- To produce competent and committed engineers in the light of outcome based education.
- To motivate and encourage students to gain scientific knowledge and creativity in Engineering Chemistry
- To provide strong theoretical foundation complemented with extensive practical training
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
Graduates of the program will be able to
- Apply technical competence in the field of Engineering with a strong back ground in basic science and mathematics.
- Analyse and interpret data to design or evaluate engineering systems to satisfy social needs with the use of modern tools including higher education
Program Outcomes (POs)
Engineering Graduates will be able to
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one's own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
Graduates will be able to
- PSO1: Apply the knowledge of basic science to analyze and solve the problems in the area of engineering such as Environmental, Polymer technology, Chemical fuels and Water technology.
- POS2: Analyze, plan, design, Quality assessment and cost estimate of engineering with professional ethics